As a resolution this year I want to get back into my blog and make it readable for EVERYONE! Not just girls wanting to hang with the guys, but challenge the guys to keep up with us girls. I want all my readers to complete 7 tasks each week along with me. They are simple, and may seem meaningless at first. I have a feeling that at the end of the year, after the completion of 365 tasks, you will have a new appreciation for the opposite sex and be able to say that you are comfortable with who you are.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

What another hectic week! This week my car was squeaking so loud every time I would push the brake peddle, I knew something was wrong. Having a mechanic close by is always a good thing.

 I ran to Jim knowing he would be able to tell me exactly what was wrong. Brakes, Brakes Brakes..... OK "how much is this gonna cost me" and "do you have time to fix it" were the first things out of my mouth, and then I thought what a perfect opportunity to do a "manly" thing, and fix it myself (with some guidance of course).
Before Jim had a chance to answer I said I wanted to learn how to fix it myself.
It was defiantly going to be a challenge since me and tools are not best friends when asked for a screwdriver ... I think of happy hour!

First things first, open the cap to the brake master cylinder and the power steering. Next you’re going to need a jack to set the car up with. Then remove the wheel-studs and lug nuts (hee hee I have nuts). Remember righty tighty & lefty Lucy for the direction you should be turning. Once the tire is off, turn the wheel out to remove the bolts from the caliper. Descale the rotor by removing the rust that has built up around the edges. Next decompress the caliper lube the slide pins use anti-seize it looks like silver metallic nail polish :) . Replace the brake pads and put it back together. Move to the next tire and repeat. Then lower jack and tighten the caps under the hood.

Well all I have to say is ... PHEW!

I'm glad that's taken care of and now I know how to do it all by myself! 

No comments:

Post a Comment